Friday, April 5, 2013

2013 04 01 - Brigham City, UT to Green River, UT

Monday, April 1st, 2013

  • Itinerary

Start Brigham City, Utah (north of Salt Lake City by about an hour)
Stop  Green River KOA, Utah
Distance - 236 miles
Time - one hour in the morning, then 3 hours after leaving Salt Lake City to get to Green River
Route - I-15 South to Spanish Fork, UT then Hwy 6 over the mountains to I-70 East for a few more miles to Green River, UT

  • Summary of the Day

The morning was weird. I was awakened by the sound of the falling of random objects on the top of our RV. Then I heard what sounded like the screams of a 1000 birds. The first sound was heavy nuts from the adjacent tree while the birds turned out to be seagulls and what I assume was some robins. Our campground had been invaded!  PezMiner spotted one unique and pretty blue jay looking bird.

A sample of the Seagulls everywhere at the KOA in the morning


Getting some showers in we were ready to go and we packed up by 1030am.

Our stop for the day was downtown Salt Lake City. We visited our company's headquarters in an old factory building converted to office space that was quite nice.


While I spent the day with my boss and our CFO and got work stuff done, the family went to do a little bit of shopping for a couple of hours. By about 4pm I had wrapped up my work meetings and the family had made it back to the RV.


Daddy and PezMiner
I had known there was a Brazilian Steak House at the nearby mall and that Momma loves that type of restaurant  Surprisingly Lillber (who normally loves a great steak) was too tired to join us so just the three of us walked the several blocks over to the restaurant.

PezMiner ended up being brave and trying many new things he normally doesn't try.  He decided to give the restaurant 4.5 stars out of 5, knocking off .25 because we had to wait 15 min to be seated, and another .25 because the servers who bring the meat to your table would occasionally go by our table without stopping to let us have any.  In the end, we had a great meal and great family dinner and we would heartily recommend this restaurant.





After dinner the weather turned hard-core rainy.  Since it was an outdoor mall (much like the mall at Redmond Town Center back home) we had to almost swim back to the RV at the Smart Bomb parking lot. The downpour thoroughly soaked all three of us .  After drying off we were ready to hit the road by about 7pm.

As we got on Interstate 15 again the rain fell even harder. I was hoping I was not going to have to drive all evening underwater. Thankfully after about 15 minutes the rain vanished.  We could once again marvel at the beauty of the mountains to the east and the west of us as we drove.

And I could unclench my fists from the steering wheel.

We had a big decision to make by around 8pm - stay on I-15 and head south and camp for the night at Salina, Utah and then head east on I-70 in the morning
OR
head SE over the mountains in the dark taking Highway 6 out of Spanish Fork.  The weather report predicted snow overnight in Salina so we took the same cut off we had a year and half ago on our first RV trip.

I knew it was going to be a bit hairy - I had driven it in the evening before.  But now full darkness fell just as we headed up into mountains.

Two hours to go - most of it as mountain driving. I tightened my grip on the wheel, pushed a bit harder on the gas and we twisted and climbed and climbed and twisted. After over an hour of this, we finally dropped down out of the mountains, met up with I-70 and went the last couple of miles into Green River to our KOA for the night.
  • Map

View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment